I've been thinking a lot over the last few days and I'm having issues with how to handle all of this once it happens.
This whole situation has always been grouped into phases in my brain from the beginning:
Phase 1: Getting through the rest of my pregnancy
Phase 2: Delivery and the immediate time afterwards
Phase 3: Life after Megan Grace
I'm working on Phase 1. Honestly, I'll say so far it has not been bad. We are almost prepared for her arrival as far as "doing" things go such as the doctors, buying things, figuring out who can support us and who can't. Emotionally, I'm not sure you can really be "ready" but I'm doing as much as I can including going to therapy. On top of all of this, I'm trying to cherish every moment with Megan Grace because I know the weeks are winding down as quickly as they began.
Phase 2 is the part that scares me the most. First, there will be delivery in a hospital. Did I mention I've never spent a single night in a hospital in my life? Luckily, with everything else on my mind this is really the least of my worries unless I have to have a c/s at which point things may go downhill quickly.
Then meeting Megan Grace and likely saying goodbye in a matter of minutes. This will be bittersweet. I'm not sure if I've said this in this blog. Many people will probably not understand when I say this but I'm not hoping for a miracle. Sure, I'll be thrilled if there is a miracle and she is healed but in her condition (which is very poor) I'm not hoping she lives because her quality of life will be very low if at all. One of the things that has crossed my mind many times since we found out in April just how bad her condition is currently is how much pain she might be experiencing. This is one thing I'm glad she will be able to leave behind when she goes to God. We will enjoy every moment we are given with her while she is here but I'll be a little relieved once I know she is pain free although that is when I will finally have to deal with her being gone.
The days and early weeks after will be tough not only because we will finally be able to deal with the loss but the hormone crash is not going to be pleasant. Those first few weeks as much as I hate it I'm probably not going to be "living". When I think back to the time after we found this out I existed in sort of a zombie state and I don't really like it but I think it is how our body protects us from the pain.
This is where I'm torn. Most likely I'm going to deliver in early July. It will be warm and football season will be just around the corner. I really don't want to miss out on all this but I also want to make sure I grieve the loss of our daughter and not just tuck it away to deal with later. How is all of that going to work?
How do you reconcile moving on with your life while honoring the memory of a daughter you love and cherish so very deeply? It has to happen at some point but how do you decide when, how, etc? The time of year when she is going to arrive is one of my favorite times and I don't want to miss out but I also don't want to feel like I'm just forgetting about her. It's a difficult concept to grasp for me right now and I'm not sure how to answer.
A wise person who has been here told me not to worry about tomorrow and it would all take care of itself and it will. The impatient person I am gets agitated with so much uncertainty. One would think I would have given up on that by now right? Not so much apparently.
Anyways, this is where I am today. Not sad, not happy, just at a crossroads with everything I've said. It will all work out I just have to think through it ahead of time to make it all make sense.
Garlic herb salmon
1 week ago
8 comments:
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I truly believe that we each honor the memories of those we lost in our own way. If that for you means looking forward to things you love and still living as best you can - I think that is amazing and I think that would make Megan so very proud of her Mama. I know it is easier said than done, but grief is a personal process and there is no "right" way or wrong way. Trying to enjoy things you love does not mean you miss Megan any less or you love her any less or that she touched your life any less. You do what you do to get through and that is right for you. Sorry if this is rambling, I don't have all the right words, but you are in my prayers through all of these transitions.
visit these blogs and maybe these women can help you
http://sgirl79.blogspot.com/
http://ourmiraclemax.blogspot.com/
Hi friend,
So sorry I missed your call earlier... I was out for a run. I got your e-mail, too.
Wow... this post really hits at the core of it all... those days after the hellos and goodbyes... how to grieve and how to still live life... it's such a tricky, delicate balance that, to be honest, changes from one day to the next.
I have some thoughts I would love to share. Be on the look out for an e-mail tonight or tomorrow...
When it happens, you will just know. And you will take it day by day, sometimes minute by minute. My daughter was stillborn, full-term, so I did not have any "warnings" or time to prepare for her death. I don't know which is worse- both in their own ways. Anyhow, there were days I didn't want to be around anybody. I didn't answer my phone or leave the house. And then there were days I couldn't stand to be alone in my empty house any longer. After a while I was able to put together a memory box and a scrapbook with all of her things. Even though she was on my mind all day every day, this seemed to help me "remember" her and honor her short life. Just know that God will never leave you or forsake you- he WILL take care of you even in your worst moments. Just a thought...
We all grieve differently and there is no right way and wrong way. You must listen to your head and your heart (you seem to be so good at listening to both). I think that doing what you love would be a fabulous way to honor Megan Grace. I don't think that she would have you miss all that good stuff, while you sit home and mourn. Distractions are good release valves...they allow you to have a small break from the sadness to regain some of your resolve and strength. You will never forget your sweet girl and you will only honor her more to live your life to the fullest...after all, she just might be watching. : )
as the others have said: you will do what you need to do. you will breath in. then out. you will sometimes grieve a little. sometimes alot. you will do it good. and you will stumble. and you will be human. and you will lean on your husband. and he will grieve. sometimes together. sometimes alone. and tonka will understand. and you will lean on him too. and you will remember Megan. and you will not forget. life will go on...and you will, too. and that's okay. but it's okay to "feel" it all!! You are in my prayers...
there is no "planning" your grief. but you will do it. you will breathe in. then out. you will handle it with grace. and sometimes you will struggle. you will have a good moment, maybe even a full day. and there will be bad ones. you will *handle* your grief as only you can. you will lean on your husband. he will lean on you. sometimes you will both fall. and other times you will catch each other. you will grieve together. and alone. and with tonka. and with others. some you do not even know. or will ever meet. and you will remember your beautiful daughter, Megan. even when you think you won't. even when you think other may have forgotten. you will not. and I pray that God will hold you ever so gently in His hands, until you have the strength to travel beside Him. whether that be a few days. weeks. months. years. or a lifetime. He will do what you need.
Amber - Oh how I have missed our emails while I was gone. I read a book (a friend suggested I should read when she heard of Megan Grace) Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult. Its a fictional story based around facts of OI Type III and a fictional little girl who survives and her day to day struggles. After reading the book I understand your saying that you dont pray for a miracle. I dont think that makes you any less of a Mom, actually I think it makes you more of a Mom than anyone could ever imagine. You dont want your baby to feel pain, or to hurt.
I know this day is probably bittersweet for you...but I hope you find joy today in Mothers Day. Know that you are being the most selfless Mother I know. Giving yourself to your baby for this short time and loving her so much and caring for her more than many others could all while holding your head high.
Im sure Megan is proud to have you as a Mom. Enjoy Mothers Day. And Ill continue to pray for your family and the courage to face the coming weeks and the courage to grieve and honor your child.
Post a Comment