CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Intertwined

The past week and a half has been such a blur. It is so surreal to think my grandfather was here two weeks ago and now he is gone to be with Megan Grace.

Literally speaking, the loss of the two of them occurred at different times. Mentally speaking, the huge voids in my life are very much intertwined almost as if they happened simultaneously.

Countless times over the past week Megan Grace's name has been spoken. She was talked about so openly it was almost like she was here. Only she wasn't....or was she?

The last night of my grandfather's life we all gathered around him letting him know we loved him and that we would be fine if it was time for him to go. He continued to fight. It was gut wrenching to watch him as he clung to life for just a little bit longer. The hours ticked by and he was still hanging on.

All week I had wrestled with talking to him about Megan Grace. The words just wouldn't come. The fear of not knowing was he was going to say in his semi concious state kept me from saying what I knew I needed to say.

After we had tried everything we could to let him know it was fine to let go and he still didn't I went back to sit with him by myself.

As I sat there and rubbed his head, I very quietly told him to please go and take care of Megan Grace. With that, I kissed his head and walked out of the room after once again telling him I loved him.

A few short minutes later my grandmother went back in there and he was gone. Gone to take care of Megan Grace. Just like I asked him to do.

This story is the only comfort I have while dealing with all of the pain I'm dealing with right now. The comfort of knowing our daugther is in the arms of her great grandfather until we see her again.

7 comments:

MY LIFE WITH BOYS! said...

I had tears in my eyes reading this post. It must be so comforting to know that he is now with your sweet girl. It is almost like he waited for you to tell him that before going. So sorry for your loss-both of them.

Brandy said...

My eyes just filled with tears as I read this. I am sure your grandfather is in heaven hugging, rocking and kissing your sweet girl. Thinking of you and your family. Hugs!

Meg said...

I'm so glad you were able to be with him! Being with my grandma was one of the greatest gifts I have ever been given.

:Don't think of him as gone away--his journey's just begun, life holds so many facets--this earth is only one. Just think of him as resting from the sorrows and the tears in a place of warmth and comfort where there are no days and years. Think how he must be wishing that we could know today how nothing but our sadness can really pass away. And think of him as living in the hearts of those he touched.. for nothing loved is ever lost--and he was loved so much.

Keep your chin up!

Candi and Skeet said...

Wow, this post has me in tears. I am so sorry for your loss but I know they are both anxiously awaiting your reunion TOGETHER. I am so glad that you were able to say goodbye and that you know someone you love is watching over your baby girl.
Hugs!!

Ashley said...

Thank you for everything this week, in the midst of your greiving you were so selfless helping guide me as a friend to another who is now walking down a path you know far too well. Thank YOU for being a friend. We love you guys.

JamieW said...

I am so sorry. I do feel a new "appreciation" of death, an understanding or maybe just a coming to terms with it, since Oliver died.

The Fulchers said...

My heart just hurts for you. They have both touched so many lives, in such very different ways. I'm certain their reunion was a glorious one. Take care of yourself, and as always, we're here for you.