CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

To Tide You Over........

Until I have time to sort through my pictures from our trip to Nashville/Memphis for NYE and the ECU bowl game (and no I don't want to talk about it just in case you were wondering).

I've been making this chili for a few months now. It has been one of my favorite finds from my Southern Living cookbook circa 2007.

Meaty Black Bean Chili

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 20 min.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Ingredients

3 (15-oz.) cans black beans
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 pound ground round
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (14-oz.) can low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
2 (14.5-oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes with jalapeños

Toppings: sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, lime wedges, sliced jalapeño peppers, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes, corn chips

Preparation
1. Rinse and drain 2 cans black beans. (Do not drain third can.)
2. Sauté chopped onion and ground round in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in chili powder and next 3 ingredients; sauté 1 minute. Stir in drained and undrained beans, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve chili with desired toppings.

This stuff is good! I throw in a few extra jalapenos for good measure and I'm all set. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I'm currently in search of the all-time best chili recipe. This one is going on the "try it" list.

Miche said...

My DH is kind of hard to impress and he loves this chili.

We also made it for some friends and they asked for the recipe so I assume they liked it.

You have to like black beans though because there are a ton but I love them so it works!

Making your potato soup tonight!

Ashley said...

This recipe sucks. Im kidding....I was shocked at how good it was. Need to make this soon.