Typically I am not one to get all wrapped up in celebrity. They are, after all, human.
Last year when we found out our daughter was not going to survive I picked up the book Resilience by Elizabeth Edwards.
Today I can't really tell you why I picked it up instead of the myriad of other books discussing the loss of a child. Maybe because it was written by a bereaved mother instead of a doctor, psychologist, etc?
It may have been because at the time her name was in the headlines after suffering yet another tragic blow in her life as it was rumored (and later confirmed) that her marriage was coming to an end due to infidelity while she also battled cancer.
Either way it was one of the top 5 best books I have ever read.
Her strength in the face of such adversity was amazing. When I heard the news on Monday that she did not have much time left I had hoped she would have one last Christmas with her family.
She didn't. Less than 24 hours after I heard the news she was gone.
My personal hope is that as she near her last moments her on Earth that she looked forward to being reunited with her son and leaving behind the pain, heartache, and tragedy she motored through during her life.
My heart goes out to her remaining children as they face the holidays without their mom.
RIP Elizabeth.
Garlic herb salmon
1 week ago
2 comments:
I didn't read her book, but felt the same way about the grace with which she handled adversity. I am sure she wasn't perfect, but she was a great example of how to handle oneself when facing difficult - heartbreaking, really - situations.
RIP Elizabeth. I really recommend Saving Graces as well. She was such an amazing woman and a worthy role model.
Post a Comment